Our next general meeting:
Thursday 4/10/14 in WSLR 116 @ 6:00pm Nominations for Executive Board 2014-2015
Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences
What is MANRRS?
MANRRS is a national society that welcomes membership of people of all racial and ethnic group participation in agricultural and related sciences careers. MANRRS members are encouraged to be full participants in other professional societies for their basic disciplinary and career interests. However, MANRRS attempts to provide networks to support professional development of minorities. It is a springboard for their entry into and advancement in careers where they otherwise could be lost in the sheer number and established connections of mainstream participants. For student members, MANRRS provides role models and networking opportunities. MANRRS also offers students opportunities to enhance leadership and organizational and public speaking skills, and to experience professional critique of scholarly worked in a “user friendly” environment.
We the members of this society pledge to support endeavors that will always foster and promote the agricultural sciences and related fields in a positive manner among ethnic minorities. We also pledge to initiate and participate in activities and programs that will ensure that ethnic minorities will also be involved in and associated with the agricultural sciences and related fields… We pledge to work for the inclusion, achievement, and advancement of all people in the agricultural sciences.
Why Join MANRRS:
Besides meeting other great people in your major across the U.S. and all the fun the local chapter of MANRRS-Purdue has as an organization, here are a few specific reasons to join:
- Access to the MANRRS Educational Endowment Fund to provide educational scholarships for undergraduate student members.
- Become a national officer for MANRRS for outreach to under-represented populations to inform potential students about opportunities in agriculture and related sciences.
- Access to Top 100 companies in agriculture and related sciences looking to fill internships and permanent positions every year from freshmen to senior year or masters to doctorial members.
- Giving back to the community through semester service projects and mentoring of high school students through our Jr. MANRRS chapters.
- Developing your diversity awareness and identity
- Travels out of state twice a year to present your research through public speaking, posters, debate, small grant writing and other skills obtained through your matriculation to graduation.
- An annual membership directory to provide student members national exposure in career and graduate study markets.
- Over 1200 members nation-wide
- Over 70 Chapters across the nation
- Present in 38 states and Puerto Rico
- Originated in 1992; Active Chapter since 1993
- Chapter of the Year Recipient
- Junior MANRRS Chapters - Indianapolis
MANRRS Out and Visible Everywhere (M.O.V.E)
- Develop professional networking skills
- Get exposed to top employers across a myriad of industries
- Participate in the regional and national conference activities
- Local chapter support
- Friendships that last a life time
For most recent updates and member participation, check out our Facebook page for more information about...
- National Conference in Birmingham, Alabama
- Our latest Faculty Meet & Greet--to network with professors
- Winter Clothing Drive for Faith Lafayette Ministry with Heifer International
- Food Finder's Food Bank collaboration with the National Society of Black Engineers (N.S.B.E) and Minority Technology Association (MTA)
- Region V Conference at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
- MLK Jr. Celebration
- Destination Purdue Event
Miss a meeting?