Earhart Residence Hall

Purdue Residence Halls or Dormitories

All exchange students are guaranteed on-campus residence hall housing. Living in the residence halls is convenient. Earhart Residence HallAllresidence halls are within walking distance of the academic buildings, offer meal plans so students don't have to bother with cooking and cleaning up, do not require additional payment for utilities (except long-distance calls), and affords residents countless opportunities to meet many new people and participate in hall activities. However, students living in residence halls are subject to residence halls rules and regulations, limited space, may have more expensive costs, and living with a roommate. Most residence halls also do not have kitchen facilities. Check out the on-campus housing services and the housing options.

Housing Application

If you want to apply for on-campus housing, you must wait until you receive your Purdue identification number. Your Purdue ID number will be emailed to you once you have been accepted. If you do not get an email, your Purdue ID number will be in your acceptance packet which is mailed to your institution. The earlier you apply, the greater your chances of being assigned to a residence of your higher preference. To start the process for applying for on campus housing, visit the University Residences site.

Meredith Residence Hall

Undergraduate Residence Halls

About 35% of Purdue single undergraduate students are housed in University Residences. Cary Quadrangle, Tarkington Hall, and Wiley Hall are for male students, while Windsor Hall is for female students only. The other residence halls: Meredith Residence HallEarhart, Hillenbrand, Meredith, Harrison, McCutcheon, Owen, and Shreve Halls are coeducational units in which men and women are assigned to rooms in separate wings of a building but share lounge, laundry, and dining areas. Hillenbrand Hall is designated as an upper-class (sophomore and above) coeducational facility. The undergraduate residences offer every convenience, including lounges, recreational space, dining rooms, kitchens, laundry facilities, postal service, and computer labs. Each room is furnished with beds, desks and chairs, desk lamps, closets, and phones. Students must provide their own towels, blankets, and linens, which you can just purchase here. Each residence hall forms its own organization for self-government, athletic, and social activities. Residents automatically become members of that unit's organization and pay an annual membership fee (approximately $15-$28). Each housing unit has a staff of counselors who can help with personal or academic problems and who assist with student organizations.

Hilltop Residence Apartments

Hilltop Apartments and Purdue Village

As an alternative to traditional residence halls, the university offers housing for students in Hilltop Apartments or Purdue Village.

Each apartment houses two to four students and is available for both single men and women. Residents may cook for themselves or purchase a meal plan to be used at a nearby residence hall.

Students in Hilltop Apartments must supply their own bed linens, blankets, and kitchen utensils. These items may be purchased rather inexpensively at local stores.

Hawkins Residence Hall

Hawkins Hall

Students 20 and older have the additional option of living in Hawkins Hall. This residence hall caters to older students who are interested in a quieter, more independent residential atmosphere. Rooms include beds, desks and chairs, phone, mirror, and closets. Students Hawkins Residence Hallmust provide their own towels, bed linen, and blankets. If you are applying to Hawkins, you should be aware that cooking is not permitted in the rooms; however, microwave ovens are available on each floor for heating food. Residents are also provided with additional storage space, formal and informal lounges, vending machines, snack bars, fully equipped laundry rooms, and postal service. Hawkins will issue monthly bills and require payment at the beginning of each month.

Paying for Housing

Exchange students should be aware that after signing a contract to rent a room in a university residence, housing fees will be charged to the student's university account.