Farmer to Farmer
The USAID John Ogonowski and Doug Bereuter Farmer-to-Farmer (F2F) Program provides voluntary technical assistance to farmers, farm groups, and agribusinesses in developing and transitional countries to promote sustainable improvements in food security (agricultural practices and nutrition) and agricultural processing, production, and marketing. The program relies on the expertise of volunteers from U.S. farms, land grant universities, cooperatives, private agribusinesses, and nonprofit farm organizations to respond to the local needs Volunteers, recruited from all 50 states and the District of Columbia, generally are not overseas development professionals, but rather individuals who have domestic careers, farms, and agribusinesses, or are retirees who want to participate in development efforts.
Purdue Extension educators have the opportunity to share their knowledge and skills with farmers in developing nations. They work with individual farmers, cooperatives, institutes and small agricultural businesses to help make sustainable improvements in agricultural practices, food processing, production and marketing. Purdue Extension educators not only share their knowledge with the farmers, they also come home with perspective-changing international experience they can use in their home communities, as well as enhanced communication, presentation, critical thinking, and leadership skills. These experiences contribute to internationalizing extension, which is a goal of USDA and of Purdue.
Scott Monroe explains soil science concepts to Ethiopian orphan girls.
Below is the list of new implementing organizations, and the countries they will cover, for the new five-year cycle beginning 2014. These organizations will post assignments beginning in January. Purdue has cultivated relationships with CRS and Winrock especially. Purdue International Programs in Agriculture (IPIA) partners with Winrock International to implement an Agricultural Education and Training program in Guinea. Assignments for this program will also be posted in the coming months.
· CNFA F2F Program with core countries in Southern Africa: Malawi, Mozambique, Angola
· ACDIVOCA F2F Program with core countries in West Africa: Ghana, Liberia, Senegal, DRC
· ACDIVOCA F2F Program with core countries in Europe, Caucasus and Central Asia (ECCA): Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Georgia, Armenia
· Catholic Relief Services (CRS) F2F Program with core countries in East Africa: Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Uganda
· Land O'Lakes F2F Program with core countries in Middle East & North Africa (MENA): Egypt, Lebanon
· Partners of the Americas F2F Program with core countries in the Caribbean Basin: Haiti, Guatemala, Dominican Republic, Nicaragua
· Winrock International F2F Program with core countries in Asia: Bangladesh, Burma, Nepal
· Winrock International F2F Program with core countries in Agricultural Education & Training (West Africa): Guinea, Nigeria, Senegal
· Volunteers for Economic Growth Alliance (VEGA) Special Program Support Project (SPSP)
For more information, contact:
International Extension Program Coordinator