A key strength of the Department and the new building, the Sensory Laboratory provides sensory analysis through subjective tasting of food acceptability. Using state-of-the-art equipment and methods the Sensory Evaluation Lab works closely with our industry partners to design studies, collect data and produce statistical analysis to support R&D, Sales, Marketing and Manufacturing.
- Trained or untrained panels
- Product profiling
- Quality monitoring
- Assessing product consistency
- Shelf-life/storage evaluation
- Assist in quality control of raw materials
- Optimize products for test markets
- Assess consumer preferences
Types of Testing
- Discrimination - triangle, preference, paired-comparison
- Acceptability - hedonic, preference
- Individual tasting booths
- Controlled lighting and ventilation
- Computerized data collection
- Water filtration system
The Purdue Food Science Sensory Lab is fully supported by microbial testing, carbohydrate chemistry, product development, product packaging, chemical testing and a modern Pilot Lab facility.
The Purdue Food Science Sensory Lab aggressively seeks new industrial partners with the food and equipment industries. Working closely with your staff, we focus on your needs, utilizing state-of-the- art equipment designed to provide prompt results.
Partnering companies benefit from
- Access to teams of internationally recognized faculty with specialized expertise
- Specialized resources for problem solving
- Access to multifaceted technology transfer programs
- Access to top food science faculty and students
- Integrated partnership opportunities
- Beta site testing opportunities
- Affiliation with a dynamic food science and engineering department
- Significant company exposure to students/public
Specific testing and research opportunities can be developed and designed as needed by your company.
For more details on how your company can benefit from working with the Purdue Food Science Sensory Lab, contact:
Dr. Andrea Liceaga