John S. Wright Conference Center
The John S. Wright Forestry Center is located at 1007 North 725 West in West Lafayette. It is on the site of Martell Forest, approximately 7.5 miles west of the West Lafayette campus. Built in 2002-2003 at a cost of $4 million, the 17,000 sq. ft. Center is a state-of-the-art facility with teaching and research laboratories, office space for faculty and staff, two greenhouses, and a conference center. The Center was dedicated and officially opened October 3, 2003.
The Center is named in honor of John Shepard Wright, a member of the Purdue University class of 1892 who, in 1964, provided the Department of Forestry and Natural Resources with a generous endowment for the promotion of forestry in Indiana. Mr. Wright was a botanist, an Eli Lilly executive, and a friend of many forestry leaders in Indiana, particularly Stanley Coulter, Purdue University Professor Daniel DenUyl, and Charles C. Deam, the first state forester of Indiana.
The Center is an approved Purdue University venue for alcoholic beverage use. The form to request approval for alcohol use can be obtained from the Memorial Union Event Services (765-494-8906) and must be filed with them at least 45 days in advance of the event.
As with all Purdue University buildings, the John S. Wright Center is a non-smoking facility.
J.S. Wright Conference Center Contact:
Administrative Assistant and Conference Coordinator
Department of Forestry and Natural Resources