Martell Forest

 

J.S. Wright Center aerial view Martell Forest is in the Central Till Plain in Tippecanoe County. It contains a total of 477 acres with 398 acres of forest. The property is 8.5 miles from the Purdue University, West Lafayette campus. Martell forest is used for research and teaching by forestry students and students from other disciplines. It is named for Dr. Eldred R. “Shorty” Martell, who was head of Purdue's Department of Forestry and Conservation, now known as the Department of Forestry and Natural Resources, from 1940 to 1957.

Martell Forest is the site of the John S. Wright Forestry Center, a research , teaching and conference facility located at 1007 N 725 W, West Lafayette, Indiana. In addition to the Wright Center, Martell Forest is home to the John L. Van Camp Arboretum, a collection of 100 trees native to Indiana provided to the Department of Forestry and Natural Resources as a gift from the family of former faculty member John L. Van Camp.

Research

  • Walnut Culture and Genetics
  • Oak Regeneration
  • Herbicide Efficacy
  • Biomass Plantation Establishment and Management
  • Forest Inventory
  • Water Quality
  • Fish Habitat and Diversity
  • Nitrogen Fixation
  • Soil Compaction
  • Occurrence and Abundance of Acorn Weevils in Fragmented Landscapes
  • Effects of Landscape Pattern on Animal-mediated Acorn Dispersal and Seedling Recruitment

Maps

Equipment

  • Several Large Tractors
  • A Small Bobcat Tractor (includes bucket, auger, forks, and backhoe attachments)
  • Tillers
  • Discs
  • Planting Machine
  • Mowers
  • Spray Rigs
  • Whole-tree Chipper
  • Self-Propelled High Lift (extends to 75ft)
  • Gooseneck Trailer
  • Several Large Pick-up Trucks
  • Fire Pumper

Property manager

Brian Behler
Phone: 765-583-3506
Cell: 765-583-3512
Email: behlerb@purdue.edu