Healthy Homes: Hazardous Household Products
Do you have the following products in your home?
- Rat poison
- Wood polish
- Bug spray
- Charcoal lighter fluid
- Oven cleaner
- Toilet and drain cleaners
- Mercury thermometers
- Shoe polish
Household products like these are dangerous for your children! Safely use and store products by following the directions on the label. Doing thinks that are not on the lavel is risky for your health and your family's. People run into trouble by using too much of a product, or by mixing two products
Children can be poisoned if products are stored or thrown away unsafely. Children's bodies are small, so even a little bit of some chemicals can cause big problems. Eating or drinking a hazardous product is dangerous. Also, just touching or breathing some products - even a very small amount of them - can be harmful.
They can burn your skin or eyes just by touching them. Some hazardous products can make you sick if they get into your body through your skin or when you breathe in their dust or fumes. If you or your child has come into contact with a hazardous product, you may feel sick to your stomach, dizzy, your skin may itch or burn, and your eyes may water or hurt.
Other problems don't show up until later, like cancer or harm to our lungs. Also, coming into contact with chemicals can affect a child's growing body. Protect your family from illness and injury by using hazardous products safely. Store them carefully and dispose of them properly.
Hazardous Household Products Teacher's Guide (Word)
Hazardous Household Products (PowerPoint: 199 KB)
Hazardous Household Products Pre-Test (Word: 75 KB)
Hazardous Household Products Post-Test (Word: 76 KB)