21 Questions for Brandon Van Soest
1. What is your hometown? DeMotte, IN
(Fun Fact: It's a Dutch settled town and to celebrate this heritage, they host an annual "Touch of Dutch Parade" where you can run a 5k for a wooden shoe prize.)
2. Where did you go to high school? Kankakee Valley High School
3. What is your major/concentration? Animal Sciences: Production with a Crop Science minor
4. What is your expected graduation date? May 2018
5. Why did you choose Purdue for undergrad? Great Ag school, 1 hour from home, and Boilermakers run in the family.
6. What are your plans after graduation? Attend either graduate school to earn a PhD in swine or dairy nutrition, or vet school
7. What is your 'spirit animal?' Cow - easy going and like to graze
8. What is your favorite organization joined at Purdue? Resident Assistant - get to know a lot of people and grow leadership and other skills through it
9. What is your proudest achievement while at Purdue? Winning intramural basketball last year and getting to play in Mackey Arena
10. What has been your favorite class taken at Purdue? ANSC 324 - Applied Animal Nutrition with Dr. Scott Radcliffe
11. What is your favorite Purdue tradition? Attending Purdue sporting events
12. What is the best thing about the College of Ag? The faculty/staff are always willing to help and are there to better the students.
13. What is the best thing about the Department of Animal Sciences? The willingness of faculty/staff to help students in and out of the classroom.
14. What is the best on-campus study spot? Lilly Lobby or the 3rd floor computer lab
15. What is your favorite place in town? Mackey Arena
16. What is the most important thing you've learned outside of the classroom? Setting priorities and getting involved early
17. Where do you hope to study abroad? I would love to explore agriculture in the Netherlands.
18. What internships/research activities have you participated in?
- Summer 2017: will be a Dairy Nutrition and Sales Intern at ADM
- Spring 2017: conducting swine nutrition research with Dr. Brian Richert
- Summer 2016: shadowed vets and did production work at Bos Dairy Farm
- Summer 2015: worked in pig production at Belstra Milling
- Fall 2015-Spring 2016: participated in beef nutrition research in Dr. Jon Schoonmaker's lab
19. What is your favorite quote? "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose." - excerpt from Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
20. What are your hobbies? Working out, playing basketball, watching movies, hanging out with friends, watching sports on TV, and fishing
21. What advice would you give to incoming students? Get into research early because once you're in, it's easier to get from one lab/project to another vs. starting late. Also, make friends with upperclassmen.