21 Questions for Alex Suppinger
1. What is your hometown? New Carlisle, IN
(Fun Fact: Schuyler Colfax, the 17th Vice President of the United States is from New Carlisle)
2. Where did you go to high school? New Praire High School
3. What is your major/concentration? Animal Sciences: Pre-Veterinary Medicine
4. What is your expected graduation date? May 2018 (1 year early!)
5. Why did you choose Purdue for undergrad? Purdue has one of the best vet programs in the country, lots of Boilermakers in the family, and I couldn't pass up the in-state tuition.
6. What are your plans after graduation? Attend vet school, then own a companion animal practice
7. What is your 'spirit animal?' Cat - I like alone time and space, but I'm there for others when they need it.
8. What is your favorite organization joined at Purdue? PASE Board of Directors - I get to plan and orchestrate networking events for the 7,000 students in the organization as well as events open to everyone.
9. What is your proudest achievement while at Purdue? Being elected Vice President on the PASE Board of Directors as a sophomore.
10. What has been your favorite class taken at Purdue? ANSC 245 - Applied Animal Management (aka Pet-a-Cow) with Dr. Mike Neary
11. What is your favorite Purdue tradition? Drinking from the Lion fountain before an exam
12. What is the best thing about the College of Ag? The countless opportunities for study abroad and scholarships
13. What is the best thing about the Department of Animal Sciences? The faculty and staff are very entertaining and are great resources for students.
14. What is the best on-campus study spot? John W. Hicks Undergraduate Library - it's roomy and quiet
15. What is your favorite place in town? Bruno's Pizza
16. What is the most important thing you've learned outside of the classroom? Do not be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone.
17. Where did you study abroad and what did you do? May 2016: 4 weeks in Romania with Dr. Paul Ebner in his service-learning course - we stayed in a village and evaluated milk quality of local farmers then provided feedback for improvement.
18. What internships/research activities have you participated in?
- Summer 2016: Veterinary Intern at Maple City Animal Hospital in LaPorte, IN
- Spring 2015: Kennel Assistant at Morris Animal Hospital in Granger, IN
19. What is your favorite quote?
"You have to be odd to be number one." -Dr. Seuss
20. What are your hobbies? Water skiing in Michigan in the summer, reading, watching movies, and playing video games in the winter
21. What advice woud you give to incoming students? Talk to the people in your classes and get to know them. They will become your best friends and you can study together.