To order custom guides, please email Kevin Leigh Smith with the following:
If you belong to a larger organization, pooling all
of your orders together can reduce your costs, avoid unnecessary
duplication, and ensure you receive guides. Please consult with the
appropriate individuals in your organization to consolidate your orders.
- Your name and organization.
- Number of custom guides you want to order.
- Your email address.
- Your telephone number.
- A shipping address (provide an actual street address because we won't be able to deliver to post office boxes).
- A billing address (if different).
- A description of what you want on the cover (and please attach any graphics files you want to include — details about graphics files are provided below).
What Is the Process?
Once you let us know what you want on the cover, you will receive a rough PDF to make sure the elements are where you want them.
After that, our graphic designer will finalize the design and send you a final PDF proof. We will create several custom covers at once, so you will receive this final PDF proof some time after the ordering deadline (in mid- to late June).
After you receive this final proof, you will send us any corrections or changes. We will not print your cover until we receive your final approval.
What Can I Put on the Cover?
A PDF of the Wheat Field Guide template is available here.
The live area on the front cover is:
- W=3.25 inches (safe zone is 2.9 inches)
- H=0.78 inch (safe zone is 0.7 inch)
On the sample, the live area is the white box on the front cover. The white box and "Compliments of" line must
appear on all designs. No other alterations may be made to the cover (including the cover photo).
The live area on the back cover is:
- W=3.25 inches (safe zone is 3 inches)
- H=4.45 inches (safe zone is 4.2 inches)
- Bleed=0.25 inch on left and top (art can also bleed to the right, under the spine)
On the sample, the live area is all of the back cover except the Purdue Extension branding and EEO statement on the bottom of the page.
What Artwork Do I Need?
Please submit your logos and other artwork in vector format (EPS or AI) whenever possible. Other formats (TIF and JPG) are acceptable, but please send high-resolution images (at least 300 dpi at actual print size). Graphics that have a lower resolution may look good on your computer screen, but will print poorly.
What Else Can I Put on the Cover?
- Colors — in the live area on the back cover, you can specify a background color. You can provide us with a specific color, or we can match the background to one in the artwork you send. If you do not specify a color, we will use white.
- Photos — you can provide any photos as long as they fit in the live areas and are of publication quality (300 dpi at actual print size).
- Text and other information — we can include any other information you want to include in the live areas such as phone numbers, email addresses, website URLs, taglines, and so on. If you want us to use a particular font, please specify the font and send a sample of the text. The only limitation, of course, is space.
Shipping and Billing
It is possible to ship completed custom guides to more than one location. Contact Kevin Leigh Smith for details. Multiple shipping locations may be subject to actual shipping charges.
We can also issue separate billing statements, but Purdue University rules require that a billing statement must be for at least 100 copies.
Purdue issues invoices at the end of each month, so you may not receive an invoice for a month or two after you receive the guides. If you need to process a payment immediately, please contact Kevin Leigh Smith for options.
If you have any other questions about the guide or custom covers, please contact:
Kevin Leigh Smith