Forage Field Guide
The second edition of the Purdue Extension Forage Field Guide is now available.
Individual copies without custom covers cost $7 each. To order, call (888) EXT-INFO (398-4636) or order online. Guides usually ship within two business days.
This second edition contains more than 300 pages of information for forage and livestock producers and the agricultural industries that serve them. The guide covers pasture establishment and renovation; insect, weed, and disease identification and management; soil fertility; animal nutrition requirements; and more.
Samples of the guide's contents are available here.
Samples of custom covers are available here.
We last printed custom covers in spring 2011. We do not currently plan to reprint custom covers. If you would like us to notify you if we print custom covers again, or if you have any questions about the guides, please email or phone:
Kevin Leigh Smith
Corey K. Gerber
What's the Cost?
Custom covers do not cost any more than our standard covers, but a minimum order of 100 copies is required. Larger orders receive discounts. For the last printing, the prices were:
- · 100-299 guides: $7 each
- · 300-749 guides: $6.30 each (10 percent discount)
- · 750-1,499 guides: $5.95 each (15 percent discount)
- · 1,500-2,499 guides: $5.60 each (20 percent discount)
- · 2,500-3,999 guides: $5.25 each (25 percent discount)
- · 4,000 or more: contact Kevin Leigh Smith or Corey Gerber
Note: Deliveries to Indiana may be subject to Indiana sales tax. These prices are per cover design — groups that order multiple cover designs do not receive a cumulative discount.
How Do I Order?
To order your custom guides, please email Kevin Leigh Smith with the following information:
- 1. Your name and organization.
- 2. Number of custom guides you want to order.
- 3. Your email address.
- 4. Your telephone number.
- 5. A shipping address (please provide an actual street address, we won't be able to deliver to post office boxes).
- 6. A billing address (if different).
- 7. A description of what you want on the cover (and please attach any graphics files you want to include — details about graphics files are provided below).
If you belong to a larger organization, pooling all of your orders together can reduce your costs, avoid unnecessary duplication, and ensure you receive guides. Please consult with the appropriate individuals in your organization to consolidate your orders.
What Is the Process?
Once you let us know what you want on the cover, you will receive a rough PDF to make sure the elements are where you want them.
After that, our graphic designer will finalize the design. We create several custom covers at once, so you will receive this final PDF proof some time after the ordering deadline.
After you receive this final proof, you will send us any corrections or changes. We will not print your cover until we receive your final approval.
What Can I Put on the Cover?
All versions of the guide feature a photo on the front cover with a live area for your logo and information. There is a larger live area on the back cover for more information.
Click here to see a sample of the template.
The live area on the front cover is 3.25 inches wide x 0.875 (7/8) inch tall. On the sample, the live area is the white box on the front.
The live area on the back cover is 3.5 inches wide x 4.5 inches tall. On the sample, this space is the box on the back cover.
What Artwork Do I Need?
Please submit your company logos and other artwork in vector format (EPS or AI) whenever possible. Other formats (TIF and JPG) are acceptable, but please send high-resolution images (at least 300 dpi at actual print size). Logo files that have a lower resolution may look good on your computer screen, but will print poorly.
What Else Can I Put on the Cover?
- 1. Colors — in the live area on the back cover you can specify any background color you like. For example, you can send us a specific PMS color, or we can match the background to one in your logo. If you do not specify a color, we will use white.
- 2. Photos — because we print these covers using a four-color process, you can also use photos or any other art as long as it is of publication quality and fits in the live space.
- 3. Text and other information — we can include any other information you want on the front or back covers (phone numbers, e-mail addresses, website URLs, taglines, and so on). If you have a particular font you would like to use, please specify the font and send a sample of the text. The only limitation, of course, is space.
Shipping and Billing
It is possible to ship your guides to more than one location. For details, please contact Kevin Smith — email@example.com or (765) 494-9558. Multiple shipping locations may be subject to shipping charges.
We also can issue separate billing statements, but Purdue University rules now require each billing statement be for 100 copies or more.
If you have any other questions about the guides or custom covers, please contact:
Kevin Leigh Smith
Corey K. Gerber