Selecting Hybrids and Varieties
Suggestions for using these results to select top-performing hybrids and varieties
The results provide producers with an independent and objective evaluation of the performance of hybrids sold in Indiana .
- Use multi-year data in tables showing the 2yr averages.
- Use regional average data tables showing the current average across all locations. Consider single location results with extreme caution.
- Evaluate consistency of performance of the hybrids you are interested by looking them up in the Multi-state database. Use % of Best column.
A. Look for hybrids/varieties that are consistently 92% or higher.
B. Beware of hybrids that have up and down performance.
- Look at several other reliable, unbiased trial results focusing on consistency.
- Test hybrids on your farm. Try to get experimental numbers and put them in your test for two years.
Remember you are taking a tremendous gamble if you make hybrid selection decisions based on one year yield comparisons in only one or two local test plots .