Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Who do I contact about aquaculture information in Indiana?
    • ​Kwamena K. Quagrainie
      Purdue University
      Phone: 765-494-4200
      Fax: 765-494-9176
      ​Andrew Coursey
      Purdue University
      Phone: 765-494-9416
      ​Robert Rode
      Purdue University
      Phone: 765-496-7910
      Randy Lang
      Indiana DNR - Division of Fish and
      Phone: 317-232-4094
      Fax: 317-232-8150
      ​Jennifer Strasser, D.V.M.
      Indiana State Board of Animal Health
      Fax: 317-542-1415
      Cell: 574-274-3244

  2. What are Indiana Aquaculture Policies, and are any Permits/Licenses needed to start an aquaculture operation? (Access Indiana Administrative Code Page 71 here.)
  3. What are Illinois Aquaculture Policies, and are any Permits/Licenses needed to start an aquaculture operation? 
  4. What are the long term trends that make North Central aquaculture attractive? 
  5. How does aquaculture compare with traditional farming, e.g., in terms of risk? 
  6. What will it cost to start an Aquaculture Operation? Can I really make a decent income in aquaculture? 
  7. Can my old barn be converted for fish production? (More information on Charles E. HicksLaura Tiu, and Shawn McWhorter
  8. How can I salvage an old pond or lake with lots of organic matter for aquaculture production? 
  9. What can I do to clear up my old farm pond? 
  10. What should I do if I find a dead fish in my pond or tank? How can I control fish diseases and parasites?

Agricultural Economics, 403 West State Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907 USA, (765) 494-4191

© Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Integrity Statement | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by Agricultural Communication

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact us at so we can help.

Sign In