Procurement Manager - Agribusiness Grower Contracts Job
Date: Nov 22, 2013
Location: Pasco, WA, US
Division: Production & Supply
Function: Direct Procurement
State/Province: Washington [WA]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: Procurement Manager - Agribusiness Grower Contracts
Job ID: 4459
Syngenta is one of the world’s leading companies with 27,000 employees in over 90 countries dedicated to one purpose: bringing plant potential to life. We contribute to addressing some of the planet’s most critical issues such as the rising demand for food from a growing population.
Working for Syngenta offers you the opportunity to play a part in addressing one of the most urgent challenges facing global agriculture today where we need to feed 200,000 more people every day.*
Come be part of our good growth plan: one planet, six commitments:
Make crops more efficient, rescue more farmland and help biodiversity flourish; empower smallholders, help people stay safe and look after each worker. * Our work matters.
There has never been a better time to join Syngenta!
This role is a procurement business partner for the production of Vegetables, Cereals, and Sunflower seeds for grower contracting. The person in this role will:
- Prepare and implement sourcing strategies for significant grower contracts ensuring collaboration with field production to create the optimal balance in price, location, and grower capabilities.
- Continually improve and standardize grower contracts by developing innovative ways to contract with growers and third parties that meet Syngenta’s requirements.
- Develop expertise in the market place that enables competitive pricing models.
- Implement the procurement operating models and develop new ways of working collaboratively with field production.
- Actively use supplier relationship management.
- Negotiation of commercial agreements including legal contracts as appropriate
- Ensure procurement engagement on Vegetable, Cereals, and Sunflowers supply chain teams
- Engage with global Vegetable, Cereals and Sunflowers procurement teams to ensure sharing of best practices and regional alignment
- Develop and implement sourcing and pricing strategies that deliver Production and Supply objectives
- Implementation of procurement operating models
- Understand Syngenta’s objectives and identify appropriate suppliers
- Promote the use of a structured Supplier Relationship Management approach
- Utilize and promote the use of available procurement and sourcing tools
- Demonstrate highest ethical standards and ensure company procedures are adopted and followed
- Continually seek, identify and deliver potential opportunities and report and track opportunities in procurement tool
- Ensure measurement and delivery of Procurement KPI’s aligned with business objectives
- Identify best practice and develop benchmarks that compare internal performance to industry best practice
- Accountable to maintain current market knowledge and industry trends
- Ensure compliance with policies and procedures.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
Critical knowledge: :
- Bachelors Degree in either Technical or Business
- MBA or CPM desired but not required
- Experience in Field/Seeds Production and/or
- Experience in Procurement or
- Experience in Supply Chain
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities:
- Excellent negotiating skills
- Communication and interpersonal skills, ability to influence
- Understanding of field production and processing operations
- Ability to collaborate
- Project management
- Ability to establish relationships with business team members, regional and global procurement teams, and suppliers
- Develops effective networks across the global and regional organization
- Contributes positively to the values and the culture of the business
- Ability to understand financial implications of sourcing strategies and contract designs.
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges:
- Ensure all supply and service contracts are negotiated and finalized to realize the optimum combination of best price, location and grower capability
- collaborate with field production and grower contract procurement colleagues globally
- Knowledge of the marketplace for grower contracts including, spend data and the implementation of procurement strategies, contracts and processes to support business teams
- Implement the procurement operating models including changing or improving processes
- Use of the tools in the Sourcing Handbook.
- Propose innovative ways to structure grower contracts.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Must be able to walk or stand for extended period of time
- Must be able to climb stairs and cat walks at plant locations
- Ability to work days, evenings and weekends
- Must be able to travel by car or plane
- Ability to operate standard office equipment including phone, fax, copier and computer
- Valid driver’s license
- Travel requirements approximately 35%
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.