Consolidated Grain and Barge
Facilities Manager – Defiance, OH
TITLE: Facilities Manager – Defiance, OH
REPORTS TO: Eastern Region Manager OVR
LOCATION: Defiance, OH
Located in Louisiana, near the shores of Lake Pontchartrain and the mouth of the Mississippi River, this agricultural company provides US farmers with a range of services, including grain handling, storage, and merchandising. It offers inland grain transportation by barge, rail, and truck and also markets and sells crop insurance. CGB's Consolidated Terminals and Logistics Co. (CTLC) subsidiary provides transportation, logistics, and bulk commodity services for both agricultural and non-agricultural customers. The company operates approximately 90 locations across the US.
Japanese trading conglomerates ITOCHU and ZEN-NOH own Consolidated Grain and Barge (CGB).
From its headquarters in the city of Mandeville, Louisiana, CGB operates its business through more than 90 locations nationwide. It boasts grain facilities in nearly 10 states, including Nebraska, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, and Missouri. The company's fertilizer operations span Ohio, Illinois, Arkansas, and Michigan.
CGB has expanded its CTLC business in recent years. To give the unit an extended reach, CTLC now serves the transportation, bulk commodity, and logistics needs of a global base of customers, rather than just CGB's core businesses.
CGB also regularly invests in its own holdings. The company has a high speed rail shipment facility in Defiance, Ohio, to boost its production capacity and existing geographic reach.
Mergers and Acquisitions
Strengthening its foothold on the Mississippi River, CGB acquired the grain and fertilizer assets of Twomey, based in Smithshire, Illinois. The deal, consummated in 2011, added valuable loading capacity on the river and offered CGB with a solid customer base in northwestern Illinois.2 | P a g e J o h n B e n n e t t C h a r l e s A r i s , I n c 3 3 6 - 3 7 8 - 1 8 1 8 x 9 1 3 4
• Grain industry experience with a minimum of 5 years’ experience. Previous grain facility management experience.
• Safety Leadership skills and experience
• Business Development Experience
• Grain Trading Background. with a proven understanding of the fundamentals of the grain industry including grain Merchandising experience
• Demonstrated level of Character and Integrity
The candidate will interface with Eastern Region Manager OVR, General Manager OVR Region, facility Staff, Clients and potential clients and community leaders in or near Defiance Ohio. Additionally, this individual will work with all other person necessary to be successful in this role.
Under the leadership of the Eastern Region Manager OVR, the Facilities Manager will focus his/her efforts on the following roles and responsibilities:
Primary Roles and Responsibilities Include:
• Business Development: Grow facility revenues through new client development as well as growth in existing relationships. This involves customer and community leader facing and relationship development. In addition to community development, the successful candidate will be able to articulate CGB’s value proposition through enhanced products and sales alternatives.
• Customer Service: Foster an environment whereby employees provide exceptional customer service in all areas including speed of product intake process, accurate product weights and grades, timely and accurate settlements, dissemination of pertinent market information and personal contact.
• Safety: Provide leadership, direction and communication of CGB’s world-class Safety Program (Journey to Excellence) to employees and when applicable contractors and customers.
• Risk Management: Ensure adequate controls are in place to manage risk in all area including A/R, origination and trading positions, legal, corporate policy and regulatory and compliance matters.
• P/L Results: Accountability for forecasting, budgeting and profit maximization for the facility.
• Capital Asset Management: Responsible for the acquisition, protection and maintenance of facilities physical and financial assets. Operate such assets in a
3 | P a g e J o h n B e n n e t t C h a r l e s A r i s , I n c 3 3 6 - 3 7 8 - 1 8 1 8 x 9 1 3 4
manner to maximize income potential while meeting shareholders, employees and community needs.
• Human Resources: Active oversight of the hiring, training, and management of employee performance at the facility. Utilize tools and resources provided by Company for thorough assessment, coaching, development and goal setting of team members at all levels.
• Governmental Regulatory Compliance: Ensure facilities and employees are complaint with all applicable state and federal regulations including OSHA, EPA, grain licensing, etc.
• Bachelor’s Degree
• Demonstrable risk management aptitude
• Proven ability to lead a team
• Strong negotiation and communication skills (both oral and written)
• Computer literacy and proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
• Must possess good time management and organizational skills
• Ability to work extended hours as needed
• Estimated travel is 5-10%
• Step 1: Selected candidates will complete the Charles Aris Executive Search Process.
• Step 3: Selected candidates will complete a group face to face interview at the Defiance, Ohio facility with the General Manager OVR and Eastern Region Manager OVR as well as other designees that may attend.
• Step 4: The selected candidate will be extended an offer of employment and start date will be negotiated. Employment will be contingent on successful drug screening.
Please contact John Bennett with any questions or to apply:
Practice Leader Manager
Office: (336) 378-1818, ext. 9134
Mobile: (336) 509-4099
Office: (336) 378-1818, ext. 9135