TOWN OF CUMBERLAND
POSITION: Farmers Market & Parks Intern
DEPARTMENT: Parks Department
SALARY RANGE: Stipend ($2500-$3000)
DATE REVISED: January 28, 2013
The Town of Cumberland is located immediately east of Indianapolis on the historic National Road (US 40/E. Washington St.). The Town lies within two counties providing a wide range of housing choices, historic charm and character, and great access to Indianapolis, major interstates, and transit (IndyGo). The Town of Cumberland has a population of approximately 5,500.
The Farmers Market runs from May through October annually at the Town Hall. The Saturday market is from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. The Cumberland Parks Council currently holds its annual Family Fun Day in June each year and has a desire to add additional summer activities. The intern will be responsible for running the Saturday markets and working part time in the office preparing for the Farmers Market and Parks events.
Deadline to Apply: April 15, 2013.
This position works under the supervision of the Executive Assistant for the Farmers Market and the Director of Planning & Development for Parks activities.
This position supervises volunteers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Register vendors and receipt in weekly/seasonal fees. The registration forms, receipt book and funds shall be turned into the Executive Assistant the following Monday morning.
· Assign spots for weekly vendors
· Assist with recruiting vendors to diversity market offerings and attract more patrons to the local produce movement
· Be a positive voice for the Cumberland Farmers Market
· Assist Executive Assist in marketing the Farmers Market
· Maintain a safe environment for vendors, pedestrians, and vehicles
· Be familiar with state and local food regulations and requirements
· Be familiar with the Town’s emergency plan for inclement weather conditions
· Manage volunteers
· Work with Town Staff on facility issues
· Assist with organizing special days like a child appreciation day, healthy living day, pet day, and other special one day interests
· Coordinate and distribute Farmers Market ENews
· Set-up tent and table to provide a set location for answering questions, displaying literature, etc. at the market
· Plan and remove Farmers Market Signage, necessary barricades, garbage cans and chairs and tables prior to the start of the Market and at the end of Market.
· See that Town grounds have been cleaned up, facilities locked up and trash taken to the dumpster at the end of each market
· Assist with planning and implementation of Cumberland Family Fun Day
· Develop and implement regular parks activities like a community garden, trail activities, youth programs, an “ultimate play date” event, three on three basketball tournament or other similar activities.
DESIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
· A demonstrated interest in community farmers markets and local farming/produce
· An out-going, positive demeanor
· Good communication skills and diplomatic conflict resolution
· Self-motivated, highly organized and efficient
· Previous experience as a vendor and/or service on community event board
· Valid driver’s license
· Familiar with the Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Word, Excel, and Publisher