JOHN P. CURRY, Sullivan, has led a full, productive, and interesting life that has been singular in only one respect--his dedication to the good of his fellow man.
Born in 1886 at Coffee, Clay County, Indiana, he attended DePauw University (1911 and 1913). He taught school at Hymera, then worked as a coal miner in Sullivan County for thirty-four years. In addition to these occupations, he has spent his entire life close to the soil. He was a part-time farmer until 1944 then farmed full-time till this past year where he raised angus cattle, sheep, and hogs.
John Curry was a true pioneer in the organization and growth of the Indiana Farm Bureau Cooperative Association. He was on the board of directors when this cooperative was founded in 1932, and was an active and prominent member of that board until 1954. He was president ofthe Indiana Farm Bureau Cooperative Association from 1950 to 1954. He was one of the original directors of the R.E.M.C. and served on that board until 1951. He was Sullivan County president of the Farm Bureau from 1927 to 1932 and is presently a director of the Sullivan County Credit Union.
He was a Sullivan County Councilman for twenty years. He is active in agricultural extension and Ag Alumni work, is an elder in the Presbyterian Church and was a Sunday School teacher for many years.
A list of activities and accomplishments cannot adequately describe John Curry. The firm conviction, the unalterable character, and the sincere dedication to his community and his agriculture, are the things that truly describe him.