Frankfort, IN | Certificate of Distinction: 1961
LEWIS L. STEWART, Frankfort, born on a farm near Battleground, graduated from the Purdue School of Agriculture in 1925. He taught vocational agriculture for short spans at Montmorenci and Klondike before moving to Crawfordsville. There, he taught for seventeen years and developed one of the most comprehensive vocational agriculture departments in the state.
In 1945, he returned to his first love--farming. He rented a large farm near Kirklin and launched a large scale purebred Hampshire Swine operation.
In 1954, he purchased a 330-acre farm near Frankfort. He now produces 3000 to 3500 purebred Hampshires a year. About half of these are sold for breeding stock. His production practices are recognized to be among the most progressive and efficient in the land. Many a farmer, writer, and educator has journeyed to his farm to see how it's done.
"Lou" has served as a state director for our Purdue Ag Alumni Association and as state president from 1952 to 1955. He was president of the Indiana Hampshire Breeders Association, was one of the prime promoters of the Swine Evaluation Station and one of the founders of the swine health program for Indiana.
The Certificate of Distinction is our way of recognizing an outstanding farmer and agricultural leader, L. L. "Lou" Stewart.