J. WARD CALLAND, Decatur, graduated from Ohio State University with a degree in Forestry in 1913. He was with the Ohio Agricultural Experiment Station until 1918 when he took over the management of the Miami Conservancy District which included 10,000 acres of Ohio farm land. At that time he became interested in a new crop - soybeans. He soon became known as a national authority on soy· bean production.
From 1929 to 1944, he was affiliated with the sugar beet industry in the Adams County area. In 1944 he was made Director of Agronomy for Central Soya and developed an extension research program with that company.
Calland's deep interest in research and teaching led to his appointment to the Purdue Board of Trustees in 1947. He was one of the leaders in the building of the Life Scjence Building and establishment of the new Agronomy Farm.
In 1948, he was selected to serve as Director of the National Soybean Crop Improvement Council where he has provided real leadership in the improvement of soybean varieties, culture and utilization.
In his community, he was chairman of the Decatur Memorial Foundation which built the nationally publicized youth center in Decatur. He is a devoted family man, active church worker, Rotarian, and Mason. He is an active member of the Purdue Agricultural Alumni Association.
Ward Calland has served agriculture and humanity with unselfish dedication.