LaPorte County, IN
Howard G. Diesslin completed his Ph.D. at Purdue in 1947 after service in the U.S. Navy. He was on the faculty in Agricultural Economics from 1948 to 1955 with teaching and research responsibilities in farm finance and management. Diesslin served from 1955 to 1962 as Associate Managing Director of the Farm Foundation where he coordinated regional and national Land Grant research and extension committees in various fields of agricultural economics. In 1962, he returned to Purdue as Professor of Agricultural Economics and Director of the Indiana Cooperative Extension Service. During his tenure (1962-1983), Indiana became the first statewide computerized extension service in the U.S. Diesslin served on the National Extension Committee on Organization and Policy from 1970 to 1974. In 1983 Dr. Diesslin accepted a position with the National Association of State Universities and Land Grant Colleges as the first Executive Director for Extension. He retired from Purdue in 1988 as Professor Emeritus of Agricultural Economics.