Covington, IN | Certificate of Distinction: 1986
Lawrence McKinney 1016 Orchard Dr., Covington, a native of Newtown, began farming in 1938 and retired 40 years later. He organized the Fountain County and State Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts, and was elected a supervisor in 1944. He served as secretary and president of both organizations. He also served as a director of the National Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts, in 1951 and 1952. He served on the State Soil and Water Conservation Committee from 1953 until 1957, appearing several times before congressional committees investigating conservation. McKinney served as an elder in the Newton Community Church, is a past Masonic Lodge, and served as president of the Veedersburg Public Library Board. He served five years as a director of the Covington Building and Loan Association, and is also a director of the Bi-County Chamber of Commerce, and serves on Fountain County’s Overall Economic Development Plann Committee. He helped organize the Fountain County Historical Society and was appointed county historian. McKinney became active in Cooperative Extension Service work and served three years as president of the Fountain County Extension Board, and has represented the Area Nine Extension Research Support Committee in Washington, D.C. He has been chairman of the state-wide 4-H Foundation Fund Drive, and on the 4-H Espansion and Review Committee. He received the Purdue Centurion Award in 1969 to recognize his “Outstanding service to the county, state, education and community.” He was named a Sagamore of the Wabash, and received the Friends of Extension Award, both in 1982. A graduate of Wabash College, he is also an Honarary Purdue Ag.